Tuesday, April 19, 2005


The glory that is Center Parcs...or at least, the food.
We went to the Lake District for our (late) Easter holidays, and I rediscovered the wonders of Keswick and Derwentwater (every childhood Easter holiday, I was taken there). We stayed at the Oasis Center Parcs complex near Penrith, which is, on the whole, excellent in a bourgeois Butlins sort of way. Lots of really well supervised activities, nice swimming complex, fine accommodation. But oh dear, the restaurants! Awful. The most expensive "Indian" restaurant in the world. And, for your delectation and delight, 16 ounces of horribly fatty burger, enjoyed, admittedly, by my 17-year-old son.
My big, biggest, most debilitating problem was food poisoning, incurred at a Penrith spa hotel just before going to CP. It lasted the entire week, and when I attempted to eat approximately half the quantity of burger my son had, the result was my first bout of vomiting in five years. Lovely. Posted by Hello

No comments: