Monday, March 05, 2007

Life without motorcycles

I mean, it's ridiculous. The weather is awful, and there was little but fear and back pain involved in navigating the BMW down to Lerwick so it could be put on the boat south. And yet...

All it took was an email from someone, mentioning their Kawasaki Z1000. And I was imagining a mild, dry summer's day, rolling along the road from Inverness to Ullapool, feeling that joyous thrill, and forgetting all about the numb fingers and the background note of terror...

I included my Belstaff suit with the BMW. It was an effort to finalise the transaction with biking, to deliver myself from it. Incidentally, I haven't heard anything from the guy who bought the bike. He should be pleased, as it was a bargain. I never make a profit selling anything on eBay, other than guitars, for which people appear to be willing to pay silly money.

But here's a thing: My first motorised two-wheel machine was a scooter, a Vespa. And Vespa have this four-stroke 250 which will do 90 mph and...it keeps your legs dry.

Hmmm. Can't - fortunately - afford it. And if I want to put myself off, I can always imagine myself on one these monstrosities...

No comments: